Description: Lorain County Public Health is looking for college students interested in preventing mosquito & tick-borne illnesses within Lorain County and/or conducting water quality activities in the watersheds related to household sewage treatment systems, private water systems, and bathing beaches. A student pursuing a Biology, Environmental Health/Science, or Public Health degree is preferred.
Requirements: Must be enrolled as a college student. Preference may be given to candidates who require an internship for graduation and/or seek college credit. Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and possess current state minimum automobile liability coverage.
Under the general direction of the Director of Environmental Heath, the student will work in the community to prevent disease through environmental health programs.
1. Driving Mosquito Control truck, other agency vehicles, or personal vehicle if necessary.
2. Conduct larval & adult mosquito surveillance and apply control products.
3. Conduct adult tick surveillance.
4. Identify and inventory household sewage treatment systems and/or private water systems.
4. Collect water samples from various locations, including inland lakes and Lake Erie beaches.
5. Some computer work and filing.
6. Communicate with community groups and residents regarding mosquito & tick control, household sewage system treatment systems, private water, and beach water quality.
7. Present to the health department staff at the end of the internship on the internship experience.
MAJOR WORK CHARACTERISTICS
Ability to: work with others; communicate with the general public; prepare concise and accurate reports; attend work on time, and dress appropriately. Must have a valid driver’s license.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires county-wide travel; some early morning and late evening assignments may be required.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates may upload their resume and required letter of interest at https://employment.loraincountyhealth.com/ (Resumes will be accepted until all positions are filled.)
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F