Licensed Practical Nurse - School Nursing
Lorain County Public Health is seeking an LPN to work directly in a school setting during an academic school year. The LPN will function within the scope of licensed practical nursing under the direction of the School Nurse Supervisor.
- Provide direct nursing care for school-age children including those with disabilities and chronic health conditions.
- Monitor for signs and symptoms of illness including vital signs.
- Attend to injuries and provide first aid and wound care.
- Administer medications and medical treatments per physician order and nursing care plan.
- Additional duties may include but are not limited to: daily diabetic monitoring, trach care, and G-tube feeding.
- Maintain student health records. Review vaccine records for compliance with state requirements and CDC recommendations. Provide immunization education and resources to parents. Submit required Ohio Department of Health immunization reports.
- Perform student vision and hearing screening per Ohio Department of Health Guidelines. Provide referrals if needed and assist families in obtaining follow up with a physician. Submit required Ohio Department of Health screening reports.
- Conduct communicable disease surveillance and reporting.
- Document all nursing care and interventions accurately and timely.
- Follow the Licensed Practical Nurse Scope and Standards of Practice as outlined by the Ohio Board of Nursing and Ohio Revised Code, Section 4723.01F
- Adhere to HIPAA and FERPA guidelines.
- Conduct other duties as assigned.
MAJOR WORK CHARACTERISTICS
Demonstrate knowledge of child and adolescent health issues, growth, and development and provide culturally appropriate care.
Must be able to perform duties in a school setting, follow physician’s orders, and nursing care plans. Able to work independently and as a team player and follow Registered Nurse’s instructions and guidance.
Must have clear oral and written communication skills. Competent in computer skills including word, email, and electronic health records.
May require minimal travel.
Must be a Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Ohio. Be in possession of a valid driver’s license for the State of Ohio with reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance. Must have proof of up-to-date vaccinations for healthcare providers or in the process of completion. Able to wear a face mask and face shield when required.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F